9:57 PM

fin

Posted by Fiona |

As I think about ID History class this year it is hard to say where to start. It certainly has not been what I expected, but I wouldn’t say it was a bad experience. Nor can I say I learned a significant amount about ID History. But one thing I can say is that it forced me to actively reflect on subjects I might only have thought about in passing, subjects that are increasing relevant to modern designers each day. Perhaps most importantly the class gave me the opportunity to develop what exactly my design philosophy was and how to communicate it.

As I have begun to gather my reflections over the course of the semester I have discovered a common thread, which recently became thicker, thanks to what feels like a life-saving trip home for thanksgiving.


Tradition, meaning in design, this is my challenge; this is what I want to give people in my designs, an experience that is important to them. It is a priority for me to consider and create product s that represent values in the community. I’m not talking about bible thumping, gun-toting values or anything like that. It’s hard to really pin down exactly what I am talking about, so I am going to do something I have barely done throughout this entire semester, talk about existing products.

In homage to the ID department, and its current fascination with sustainable and socially responsible design, I will start with a product that is in hot debate, or at least I hope.





The Lifestraw, I know, I know, you’ve heard it all before, but take a moment to consider my point of view on the product. It is no secret that this product is saving lives, but because of its global design it successfully neglects to address a few key problems. Disposal, distribution and efficiency present obstacles for all globalization products like the life straw, but the angle I want you to consider is its cultural relevance.



The Lifestraw does not make the act of drinking purified water important, it makes it safe. Safe until a year goes by and the filter is no longer guaranteed to function to its full capacity. The answer, of course, is not to print a tribal pattern on the side of the straw, but something different for each community, for each person, for each action.






Now let’s consider a product that I believe makes this happen, a product that does it job and solves a problem, but also changes the entire experience in a way that is not cumbersome but beneficial. The Kinkajou project or, is a low cost projector you might have heard about through design that matters, or the DESE students. What is special about this product that makes it such a role model for me is that it made the act of learning at night accessible but also an experience to change lives forever. The projector uses low cost LED lights to project images from microfilm, on just about anything, but generally some kind of chalkboard. The brilliant thing is that students can now get up and trace the figures projected on the blackboard and actively learn how to read and write in a completely new and exciting way.
Both of these products solve problems effectively,, but only one finds true significant meaning, giving the community not only something for today , but something for tomorrow.



Because like I said before.



Change is in the air.

0 comments:

Subscribe